One Amazingly Simple Solution to Keep Your Pencils from Disappearing
At 7:55a.m., I had 100 freshly sharpened pencils in our “Sharp” bucket to start the day.
By 8:05a.m., I had a student asking me for a pencil.
“W.H.A.T?!” *chokes on a donut* (No judgement, I was pregnant at the time).
I can remember my brain screaming, “How in the world?!…Where did all the pencils go?!” If you’re a teacher, you know exactly what I’m talking about. This might be a common problem in your class right now.
I soon discovered the ANSWER to the mystery of the disappearing pencils.
I saw a student open his pencil box which revealed about a dozen pencils…Out of curiosity, I asked the rest of the class to open their pencil cases as well. Students had anywhere from 5 to 15 pencils in their boxes!
Mystery solved! CASE CLOSED! Literally, the cases were closed over all the pencils.
Right then, I knew I needed a new pencil system. That’s when I discovered Pen Pal holders! A Pen Pal is a rubber pencil holder that can stick to a desk. Here’s a link to see it yourself!
Phase 1 of My New Pencil System:
- Each student gets 1 (or 2!) Pen Pal holders attached to their desk, where they must keep their pencil(s) at all times when they are not being used.
Yay! Now students have a specific place for their pencils that isn’t cluttered underneath crayons, markers, or glue in their pencil boxes.
Phase 2 of My New Pencil System:
2. Add “Pencil Police” to your list of classroom jobs.
Here’s What the PENCIL POLICE Does:
- The Pencil Police checks each student’s desk at a time of the day where students are not at their desk (Read-to-Self time works great!). The Pencil Police can do a “security walk through” once a day, several times a day, or every other day. It’s up to you!
- If the student’s pencil is in their pen pal holder, the Pencil Police will put a piece of candy (or whatever incentive you choose) in that student’s desk.
- Teacher Tip: Make the Pencil Police come to life with their own police hat and fanny pack (which can hold whatever incentive you decide to use, such as: candy, mini erasers, gum, school bucks, etc).